Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Eye of the Storm

I know this battleground is not helping me become a Conqueror but the tokens are helping me get epic kit from the Champion's Hall. However that is not what I am hear to write about. Initially when I tried this BG out I didn't like it, I felt like a fish out of water and I didn't understand it. I left it alone for a very long time. Well, stupid me is all I can say now. Not really, I didn't waste my time by not being there. There is no reputation to be had but there is Honour, and tokens, and now there is a daily quest called Concerted Efforts which will give you Honour in return for a token from each of the BGs. Handy I can tell you, especially when you are max'ed out on tokens and need Honour pts.

Anyway, back to it. Eye of the Storm. It's a mix of Arathi Basin (AB) and Warsong Gulch (WSG). There are four bases. Mage Tower (MT), Drenai Ruins (DR), Blood Elf Tower (BET) and Fel Reaver Ruins (FRR). These are basically the corners of an imaginary square. The Alliance enter on one side of the field of battle and are able to take MT and DR straight off. To take a Tower all you need to do is occupy it for a few seconds; not sure how many but not that many. If the Horde come to take it from you they need to completely evict Alliance forces from the Tower before it is theirs. The General chat log will tell you what's happening. Occupying Towers will generate points for your side. Generating 2000 points first wins your side the game. I have been in a game that the Alliance won 2000 - 1998. That was as close as I have ever seen it.

In the centre of the battlefield is a Flag plinth. Click on the flag and carry it to an identical plinth at a Tower belonging to the Alliance and you will get points. I believe it to be 100 points. This is handy but the real points lay in ownership of Towers. I should say that the rate of generating points is higher the more Towers you occupy. Like AB the more bases you occupy the faster you get points, so if you cap (occupy all available bases) then you win quick as.

So what is the strategy here? Keep the Horde busy defending their bases, take them off them is the goal, own as many bases as you can - preferably four. Keep running the flag, it keeps a hundred points away from Horde. You don't have to plant it, just own it. Bases are the thing. If you do plant it, then it's nice to have Alliance at the flag plinth in the centre to pick it up again when it respawns there. The battle for the centre can get pretty hectic at times; a study in fire works.

Once last tip. Try and get the flag in the last quarter of the game and hold it till the points hit 1900, then plant it. Win. All over red rover.

No comments: