Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Drek'thar

This is a most surprising tale, lacking the sort of detail that I usually like, however the sequence of events took me so by surprise that I felt like a piece of flotsam on the tide with little control over events.

It started at the beginning of an Alterac Valley battleground and at the time surprised to see that I had got in at the first. The gates hadn't opened yet. I had got a little used to coming in with the battle already started and little hope of getting through to the forward elements. As part of the general chaos getting mounted we surged forward and took the usual path. As we cruised past Stonehearth Outpost we were a flood. My tracking Humanoids showed a river of blue dots on the mini-map.

Some of us departed to capture the Snowfall Graveyard. There was little talk but a feeling of invulnerabilty was strong. We flowed past Galv and his Tower, straight for Iceblood Graveyard. The sheer ferocity of the attack overwhelming the Frostwolf guards and the few Horde attempting to stem such a tide. We moved straight on to Tower Point and overwhelmed it too. It was here that we seemed to pause. I remember working out that we were waiting for the tower to be claimed and destroyed. The odd Horde turned up and the chat bar reported the loss of Stonehearth Bunker and Icewing Bunker; Balinda still alive.

Apparently a few of our number, possibly half, returned and took Iceblood Tower and brought down Glav. As these people returned we gathered new momentum, the Tower burst into flame, and we headed to Frostwolf Graveyard. Little resistance, seconds only to claim, capture and destroy Horde resurrecting there. The mass heading through the village and up to claim the East and West Frostwolf Towers. I took part in claiming the East Tower but by the time I got to the top it was already done. I leapt off the Tower and headed for the last Graveyard but the Frostwolf were so demoralised we had that too in brisk fashion however the chat bar reported the loss of Balinda; the graveyard there long since gone and not noticed.

I had not been in this position since the days before Reinforcements were introduced. Standing on the mound outside Drek'thars Keep waiting and preparing for the beginning of the final assault. We had people scattered around waiting for the East and West Towers to ignite. I remembered the routine. Someone would go inside and kite out a wolf, this happening in turn until ony Drek was left. I thought perhaps I should begin this process and headed into the keep, targetted a wolf and attracted his attention. I then bolted outside.

There was no one there and no wolf had followed me. Quizically I turned around and took stock. Everyone had surged inside not bothering with pulling mobs one at a time. I ran back inside targetted Drek and just began hammering away. The score was roughly equal, around 280 each and falling. With shock and awe I noticed Drek's health dropping steadily. I thought to myself "We are going to kill Drek!" I just fired a steady stream of anything that was going to do damage, focussed entirely on willing his death with every breath.

Then it happened. Alliance Wins. Leave Battleground. I was in shock, elated, oh my god!! I managed to quickly check the stats. Bowforce, 1 killing blow, piss weak, as if I had hardly taken part, zero deaths. Yes, correct, I didn't die at all. Another shock, I usually die several times! It took somewhere between 15 and 25 minutes. I did not record the time so I can't be sure but it all happened so quickly; with our points around 250.

No comments: